I’ve thought about religion a lot. A lot. Therefore, I have a rather large number of thoughts to share on the subject, and if you’re also interested in the topic of religion I hope you read some of them. However, I realize that this is not a YouTube video of Antoine Dodson which means there are other things you’d rather spend your time on, so I’ll try to make these posts as meaningful as possible and limit the filler material as much as possible. Many books have already been written on religion, and I don’t intend to add to that number. Instead, my goal is to clearly explain to you, dear reader, why I’ve come to the conclusion that religion is complete and utter nonsense and a detriment to society and cause you to examine your own beliefs if you still believe in a god. I was a Christian for the first ~23 years of my life, and I absolutely understand why the majority of this country is still religious. I did not come to the conclusion that religion is bunk easily, and I would not have changed my mind on the most important question in life without very, very, very good reasons. As it turns out, those reasons exist.
To be clear, I’m not writing all this because I’m bitter; I’m writing because I want to clearly answer your question of “Why did you become an atheist?” I’m writing because I’m big on the truth. I’m writing because the vast majority of the people in my life are religious, and religion can be a dangerous thing (as any kind of dogma can be dangerous). This doesn’t mean that I’m determined to convince you that you’re wrong if you’re religious, but it does mean that I hope you at least think about why you’re religious and whether that makes any sense. It’s entirely possible that you’ll read some of what I write and your faith will only be strengthened because you soundly refute my arguments (I’m not saying that’s likely, but, hey, it could happen).
I plan on writing a ton of posts about religion because there is a lot to be said on the subject. I don’t expect many people to actually read anything that I post after today, so I’m going to start with some important and interesting stuff.
A few quick things:
- If you want to discuss any of this stuff over a cup of coffee or a beer, I’d love to. I’ll even buy you one. Seriously. I’ll even buy you tea or wine, if you prefer.
- More conveniently, feel free to post comments on these posts or send me an email and I’ll get back to you.
- I’m going to write pretty casually, which means I’m gonna do stuff like use the following: the impersonal “you,” the phrase “a lot,” words like “asshole,” the X-Men to make a point, and run-on sentences. It’s really easy to come off as a pretentious jerk when discussing atheism, so I’m gonna try to avoid that as much as possible. I may even cause you to smirk on occasion.
- On a related note, my intention is not to make you mad. You might get offended if I describe aspects of your religion as ridiculous when you take it seriously, which means that I’m calling you ridiculous by association. You have every right to be offended and to make your point about why believing that when you take communion you are literally ingesting the body of Christ is not ridiculous. I will make a conscious effort to not act like a jackass.
- Much of what I write is kinda obvious, and much of it has been said before, so I apologize in advance if any of what I write seems trite rather than bright, alright? It’s not my intention to bore you; my intention is to cover as much as possible for the benefit of those who haven’t heard these points before. Also, I will keep the unnecessary rhyming to a minimum. Sorry about that.
With all that out of the way, let’s talk about God, shall we? Click on "Older Posts" below or pick one from the archive section on the right. Enjoy!